RHS Eco Eagles, let’s take our e-challenge from the school year into the summer. Choose any or all the Top 5 favorites from the 2020-2021 EcoEagles Challenges to do this summer.
1. Walk one place each week instead of driving. For every mile walked instead of driven, nearly one pound of pollution is kept out of the air. Double up by bringing a trash bag to clean up any plastic that you find. What is recyclable?
2. Recycle Your Plastic Bags. Recycling a ton of plastic bags (about 450,000 bags) saves 11 barrels of oil. Recycle your plastic bags at Target, Kohls, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Kroger, or find more locations at bit.ly/RHSPlasticBagRecycling.
3. Rethink Fuel Time: Refuel in the late afternoon or evening and don’t top off your tank. This will help to prevent the formation of ground-level ozone, also known as smog. See more ecofriendly and economical driving tips at takecareoftexas.org/teens/driving-tips.
4. Donate unwanted household items from ending up in our landfills and choose a local charity for your donation by scheduling at pickup from “Recycle 2 Support” at r2sdfw.org. RHS area is usually a Friday pickup.
5. Unplug electronics and turn off lights when not in use. Reduce energy bills by up to $180 each year by unplugging electronics, when not in use or turning them off at the power strip. Turning off just one light bulb that would otherwise burn for 8 hours a day can save almost $20/year. Learn more at takecareoftexas.org/make-difference..
Have an idea for an upcoming challenge, want to share photos, or have a question? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, January 10
- Wednesday, January 19
- Monday, February 7
- Thursday, February 10
- Friday, February 11
- Saturday, February 12
- Sunday, February 13